Note from Principal Madison:
Thank you to those who have already donated much-needed items such as tissues, sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer, pencils, etc. to the classrooms! The red apples on the wall outside of your child’s classroom list items that are still needed. Please consider taking an apple (or two) with you and donating the item(s) listed.
WHAT: Recess Singers
WHEN: Every Monday (October 3 – May 21) from 12:10am – 12:39pm (during lunch recess)
WHERE: Ms. Brogno’s room #108 (this is a nut-free room)
• 3rd-5th graders eat lunch during the 3rd-5th grade lunch period in the multi-purpose room.
• 2nd graders who were with us last year and want to participate this year will need to bring a nut-free lunch and will eat in Room 108 after their lunch recess.
• Singers report to room #108 at 12:10 for 25-30 minutes: warm-up exercises, rhythm practice, fun & singing!
1. We hope to foster an environment that promotes cooperation and confidence in creative self-expression, and to inspire kids to have fun with music and movement.
2. We would like to plan several low-key performances throughout the school year, and if there is interest, consider performing for a local senior group in the spring.
New for 2011-12: Due to space, time, and scheduling limitations, the RS Directors have decided to limit eligibility to students in grades 3-5 for this school year, with the exception of current second graders who performed in the year-end concert in 2011. If another parent is interested in starting and leading an enrichment choir for first and second graders, please contact the Enrichment Coordinators, Jennifer Streeter and Bethany
ACTION REQUESTED: Please return the Permission Slip and group pledge (that came home with last week’s Blast) to Ms. Brogno by Friday, September 23.
WHAT: Dicken Family Picnic & Potluck Dessert
WHEN: Thursday, September 22 from 5:30-7:00 pm.
WHERE: Dicken Elementary School.
DETAILS: Join us for our annual Dicken Family Picnic & Potluck Dessert to kick off the school year! Bring your dinner and a delicious nut-free dessert to share. The PTO will provide lemonade, water and iced tea for the event. You may also purchase a Family Pizza pack, which includes a large Pizza, two drink boxes, two Pepsi products and fruit snacks for $10! A flier went home in backpack mail on Thursday, the 15th. Please remember to return the flier to school by the 20th to reserve Family Pizza Pack. We look forward to seeing you all there! Please bring your money on the day of the picnic; the slip is just to reserve your pizza. Contact Mandi Wise at email@example.com with any questions.
WHAT: Parent-Teacher Conferences
WHEN: Parent-Teacher conferences will be held at Dicken Elementary on:
• Tuesday, October 25, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
• Thursday, November 3, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
• Monday, November 7, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
WHAT: Friends of Greenview and Pioneer Nature Areas Fundraiser
WHEN: Thursday, September 22, 2011.
WHERE: Max and Erma’s – 445 E. Eisenhower.
DETAILS: Bring in the attached flyer and 20% of your lunch, dinner and carryout sales will be donated to Friends of Greenview and Pioneer Nature Areas. This money will be used to:
• Enhance Pond to introduce Northern Leopard Frogs.
• Create a native edible landscape for students and public.
• Control invasive species like buckthorn.
• Restore meadow and plant trees.
WHAT: Pedestrian Crosswalk Law
WHERE: Ann Arbor.
DETAILS: Ann Arbor has taken another step towards becoming a more walkable community. Ann Arbor law now requires drivers to stop for pedestrians approaching or within a crosswalk. The Ann Arbor Police Department will begin actively enforcing this law in September, beginning with warnings and moving to ticketing later in the fall. The need for this change was great; busy streets can be become physical barriers in our community for everyone, but particularly for children, the elderly and individuals with disabilities (Watch this informative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsT5ZJUnBg0). The new pedestrian ordinance compliments AAPS efforts to encourage more children to walk to school and supports our safe routes to school programming already underway at some schools. For more information on this law and the A2 Walks Project, visit http://www.wbwc.org .
WHAT: Box Tops for Education – An easy way to earn money for your school!
WHEN: Now & all year.
WHERE: Send box tops to Dicken and teachers will collect them.
WHO: Dicken staff, families, friends & relatives.
DETAILS: Box Tops for Education are worth 10 cents each and can be found on many of the products you buy regularly.
• RECEIVE 25 BONUS BOX TOPS when you purchase 8 participating Box Tops products in a single shopping visit between 9/1/11-9/30/11 using your Shopper’s Card at Kroger. Redeem at RewardYourSchool.com using the code received at checkout.
• New users earn an extra 5 bonus Box Tops for registering at RewardYourSchool.com
• Please be sure to save your Box Tops for Education and send them into school with your child. If sending in several, it’s helpful to bag them in groups of 10 and label the bag with your teacher’s name.
• Question? Contact Kerri Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org