Welcome to the first PTO Blast of the 2011-12 school year! We are excited to announce that this year the Blast is being sent using the AAPS School Messenger system. This will allow us to reach more families electronically, and will provide continually updated family contact information (without you having to sign up for anything). The Blast will be sent to you each Monday and will provide information about important events, activities and opportunities happening in the Dicken community.
WHAT: Recess Singers
WHEN: Every Monday (October 3 – May 21) from 12:10am – 12:39pm (during lunch recess)
WHERE: Ms. Brogno’s room #108 (this is a nut-free room)
• 3rd-5th graders eat lunch during the 3rd-5th grade lunch period in the multi-purpose room.
• 2nd graders who were with us last year and want to participate this year will need to bring a nut-free
lunch and will eat in Room 108 after their lunch recess.
• Singers report to room #108 at 12:10 for 25-30 minutes: warm-up exercises, rhythm practice, fun &
1. We hope to foster an environment that promotes cooperation and confidence in creative self-expression, and to inspire kids to have fun with music and movement.
2. We would like to plan several low-key performances throughout the school year, and if there is interest, consider performing for a local senior group in the spring.
New for 2011-12: Due to space, time, and scheduling limitations, the RS Directors have decided tolimit eligibility to students in grades 3-5 for this school year, with the exception of current second graders who performed in the year-end concert in 2011. If another parent is interested in starting and leading an enrichment choir for first and second graders, please contact the Enrichment Coordinators, Jennifer Streeter and Bethany Williston.
ACTION REQUESTED: Please return the attached Permission slip and group pledge to Ms. Brogno by Friday, September 23.
WHAT: Curriculum Night
WHEN: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 from 6:00-8:20 pm
WHERE: Dicken Elementary
DETAILS: Curriculum Night is for parents only – please make child care arrangements. Schedule as follows:
• 6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Dicken PTO General Mtg. – MPR.
• 6:40 p.m. – 7:10 p.m. Grades 3-5 Presentations in Classrooms.
• 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Comerica Youth Savings Program – MPR.
• 7:15 p.m. – 7:45 p.m. Curriculum Night Welcome, Intro of Dicken staff and PTO Officers & a vision
for the school year.
• 7:50 p.m. – 8:20 p.m. Grades k-2 Presentations in Classrooms.
WHAT: 5th Grade Car Wash
WHEN: Sunday, September 18, from 11am-2pm
WHERE: At the parking lot of Goldfish Swim School at 2107 W. Stadium, by Ace Hardware
DETAILS: Donations are needed of those old towels you just don’t want any more, buckets, sponges, soap, your kids, snacks for the workers. Bring donations to Dicken Sept.14-16 there will be a box in the office. We are working hard this year to keep the kids involved in the fundraising for the extra-curricular activities for the wonderful 5th Grade Class. If you are able to make any donations please let us now, Marla Heatley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-216-3228, or Leisa Thompson at email@example.com or 734-649- 3589. We really appreciate anything or any way you can help!
WHAT: Parent-Teacher Conferences
WHEN: Parent-Teacher conferences will be held at Dicken Elementary on:
• Tuesday, October 25, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
• Thursday, November 3, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
• Monday, November 7, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
WHAT: Friends of Greenview and Pioneer Nature Areas Fundraiser
WHEN: Thursday, September 22, 2011 WHERE: Max and Erma’s – 445 E. Eisenhower
DETAILS: Bring in the attached flyer and 20% of your lunch, dinner and carryout sales will be donated to Friends of Greenview and Pioneer Nature Areas. This money will be used to:
• Enhance Pond to introduce Northern Leopard Frogs.
• Create a native edible landscape for students and public.
• Control invasive species like buckthorn.
• Restore meadow and plant trees.
This message was sent by the Dicken PTO to the e-mail address(es) on file with the AAPS PowerSchool system. To update your information, please go to https://pschool.aaps.k12.mi.us/ . If you have forgotten your username or password, this information will be sent home, by the end of next week, from the main office. Any other Blast-related questions may be sent to the PTO Communications Coordinator, Rachel Egelhof, at firstname.lastname@example.org .